What Does Indigestion Feel Like?
Indigestion can feel like:1,2
- Feeling too full after eating or being unable to finish a meal because you feel full
- Pain or burning in the upper region of your stomach
- Nausea or heartburn
What Causes Indigestion?
Triggers for indigestion may differ from person to person and can include:4-10
- Eating big meals and overfilling your stomach
- Pregnancy - hormonal changes and/or the pressure put on the stomach and
digestive tract by a growing baby
- Being overweight
- Certain medications
Foods That Can Trigger Indigestion
Possible triggers of indigestion include:6,7
- Eating fatty foods, spicy foods, chocolate, mint or tomato products
- Drinking caffeinated drinks, alcohol or citrus juices
The Way You Eat
Ways you can help relieve or prevent indigestion include making changes to the way you
eat, such as:7,8
- Avoiding or limiting food and drinks that can trigger your symptoms
- Eating smaller meals
- Waiting 2 to 3 hours after eating or drinking before lying down
How Can I Help Relieve Indigestion At Home?
Aside from eating a healthy, balanced diet and minimising trigger foods as well as altering
how much and when you eat, there are also some over-the-counter products that may
Medication like Gaviscon Dual Action contains both an antacid and alginate to help relieve
indigestion in two ways.
- The antacid – the antacid in Gaviscon Dual Action neutralises excess
stomach acid to relieve the pain and discomfort of indigestion.11
- The raft – the sodium alginate in Gaviscon Dual Action forms a thick layer
(think of it like a ‘raft’) on top of your stomach contents. The ‘raft’ then acts as
a physical barrier that helps keep your stomach contents where they belong11–
in your stomach – and not in your food pipe where they can cause discomfort
and burning pain4.
Whilst indigestion alone may not lead to serious complications, it can impact your day-to-day life. People suffering from indigestion long term may experience disturbed sleep, which can in turn affect how productive you are at work or school. Lack of sleep can also affect your mental health and wellbeing.12,13
If your symptoms do not resolve or if your symptoms are troubling or concern you, speak to your doctor.
Always read the label and follow the directions for use.