Whether you’re experiencing heartburn in pregnancy, need to relieve the pain and discomfort of indigestion, or want fast relief from the symptoms of acid reflux, there’s a Gaviscon product that can meet your needs. Here, we explain how Gaviscon works.
How Gaviscon Original Works
When you want relief from heartburn, Gaviscon Original can help. The discomfort and pain from heartburn come from excess stomach acid coming back up into your oesophagus (food pipe). The sodium alginate in Gaviscon acts as a ‘raft’ that forms over the contents of your stomach to help relieve reflux. Gaviscon Original soothes and cools the oesophagus, effectively relieving the classic – and often painful symptoms of heartburn and indigestion (a burning pain felt in your chest), so you can feel better. Gaviscon Original is available in a variety of different products:
- Gaviscon Cool Liquid
- Gaviscon Liquid Aniseed Flavour
- Gaviscon Liquid Peppermint Flavour
- Gaviscon Peppermint Flavour Tablets.
Best of all? Gaviscon Liquid starts to work from 4 minutes* and lasts up to 4 hours!**
How Gaviscon Dual Action Works
Gaviscon Dual Action works in two different ways to effectively relieve the symptoms of heartburn and indigestion:
- The antacid – the antacid in Gaviscon Dual Action neutralises excess stomach acid to relieve the pain and discomfort of indigestion.
- The raft – the sodium alginate in Gaviscon Dual Action forms a thick layer (think of it like a ‘raft’) on top of your stomach contents. The ‘raft’ then acts as a physical barrier that helps keep your stomach contents where they belong – in your stomach – and not in your food pipe where they can cause discomfort and burning pain.
Gaviscon Dual Action is available in a variety of different products:
- Gaviscon Dual Action Liquid Peppermint Flavour
- Gaviscon Dual Action Tablets Peppermint Flavour
- Gaviscon Dual Action Liquid Sachets.
Want fast-acting relief from heartburn and indigestion? Gaviscon Dual Action Liquid starts to soothe from 4 minutes!*
How Gaviscon Double Strength Works
Our Double Strength formula is designed to relieve the pain and discomfort of heartburn and indigestion. The sodium alginate in Gaviscon Double Strength acts as a ‘raft’ that forms over the contents of your stomach to help relieve reflux.
It’s called Gaviscon Double Strength for a reason, as it contains double the concentration of sodium alginate compared with Gaviscon Original so you only need to take half as much. Gaviscon Double Strength is available in two products:
- Gaviscon Double Strength Liquid Aniseed Flavour
- Gaviscon Tablets Double Strength Peppermint chewable tablets.
For fast-acting relief of heartburn and indigestion, Gaviscon Double Strength will take care of you.
Always read the label. Follow the directions for use. If symptoms persist, talk to your health professional.
*Strugala V, et al. 2010 (Sponsored by RB). *Chevrel B, 1980.